SFA is a 4 wide 1-back offense with 15 routes, 3 runs, 3 screens, and 3 protections bearing a strong resemblance to "air raid" (note his astute observations on formation naming).
Truax spent time discussing his philosophy on protection and offensive line play fundamentals.
Fundamentals of Pass Pro
- Know where QB set is
- Be patient
- Get into set quickly
- Use hands
- If you are covered by a down defender know your help
- Maintain loose and relaxed posture prior to contact
- Stay off your toes
- Don’t lean on defender after contact
- Head goes back as hands/arm extend to jam
- Kick flat
- Kick angle
- Kick vertical
Truax explaining center technique for gaining leverage with the off hand
Coaching the center in pass pro
- Uncork hips (of snap hand) to point to landmark
- extend opposite (off) hand
If down lineman is positioned on center's off hand?
- Off hand punch
- kick off leg
- 2nd step/hand regoroups
Dealing with dangerous 1 tech , do they fan to the nose?
- No, they will always call protection to 3 tech
Don’t chase space, if Nose hips leave, drift back